Mensa of Western Washington (MWW) is a local group of American Mensa, which in turn is a national member of International Mensa, a society that is apolitical and free from all racial or religious distinctions. We welcome people from every walk of life whose IQs are in the top 2% of the population. Our primary objective is to enjoy a wide range of social and cultural activities. MWW currently has more than 1200 members and is the ninth largest group in American Mensa.
Ours is a fun, active group in a spectacular setting of majestic mountains, lush greenery, serene lakes, breathtaking ocean vistas, and the incomparable Puget Sound. Our members enjoy a variety of frequent MWW activities throughout the area. So, if you’re a Mensa member, we hope you’ll register and visit the Members section with its Forums and an unabridged version of our Calendar. If you’re not a member, take a look at the public version of our Calendar to see what we do—and, we hope you’ll join!
Members: The Ring Is Ready for Your Hat!
All members in good standing are eligible to declare their candidacy for office. If you want to run for a position on the Steering Committee, please volunteer in writing by the deadline of November 30th to have your name placed on the ballot as a candidate in the upcoming election.
The Steering Committee consists of five elected offices. (Members at Large are not elected by the membership. They are appointed by the SteerCom, and they also have a vote on issues.) Here are the duties performed by the SteerCom:
- Local Secretary: Acts as Chief executive officer, Chair of the Steering Committee, and official liaison with other local groups and American Mensa.
- First Vice Secretary: Assists the Local Secretary, presides over meetings in the absence of the Local Secretary, and succeeds to the office of Local Secretary if that office becomes vacant.
- Second Vice Secretary: Assists the Local Secretary and First Vice Secretary, and also serves as Chairman of the Finance Committee to draft the budget for MWW.
- Treasurer: Performs bookkeeping for MWW, submitting a semiannual financial report to the Steering Committee and ToteMs Editor. Provides original statements from banks and any other institutions where the group’s money is deposited, at least quarterly, and maintains a list of the group’s equipment.
- Recording Secretary: Makes and keeps records of all Steering Committee meetings and all general business meetings, and promptly submits the minutes of such meetings to the ToteMs Editor to be published in the local newsletter. Also provides a copy of the approved minutes to the Archives. (If no Archivist is appointed, the Recording Secretary maintains the Archives.)
And, here’s how the election process looks:
November 1st – November 29th: Candidates for office must confirm their intent to run to the Election Committee in writing, either postmarked or hand-delivered by November 30th. (No one may run for more than one office.)
January 1st: The January ToteMs contains the ballot. Voting begins.
February 28th: Voting closes at midnight.
April 1st: The newly elected SteerCom takes office.
Now is your chance to make a difference! Please submit your written intention to run for office, and make sure it’s either postmarked or hand-delivered by the deadline of November 30th, to Susan Brown; 322 NW 49th Street; Seattle, WA 98107.
Sign up NOW for the Mensa Holiday Party!
Members, reserve your spot now for the Mensa Holiday Dinner and White Elephant Gift Exchange in December! Forty-five of us enjoyed this holiday event last year. Let’s have another great party!
- Date: Saturday, December 21st
- Time: From 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Place: Robb’s 125th Street Grill (at 125th and Aurora)
- Menu: A buffet with salad, both prime rib and grilled salmon, rolls, and dessert
- Beverages: Coffee, tea, and soft drinks (cash bar available)
- What to bring (or not): A nice or strange or weird or awful or totally inappropriate gift, beautifully wrapped
If you’re a vegetarian, there will be a special dish for you — probably pasta. And, we plan to have a gluten-free bread item for those who avoid wheat. When you make your reservation, please let us know if you will need either of these items.
Dinner is a bargain: only $20 if you reserve in advance (or $35 at the door), and that includes tax and gratuity. Please make your check out to “Mensa of Western Washington,” and send it to our treasurer: CathyRaye Hyland; 1405 South 40th Street; Tacoma, WA 98418. Questions? Contact Jeannie Boag at email@example.com.
Upcoming ToteMs Editor vacancy
ToteMs Editor Tony Diaz will be leaving the NorthWest soon and consequently will be stepping down as our newsletter Editor. He will be deeply missed. Many of our members depend on the ToteMs as their main source of contact with Mensa, so this is a very important position. It takes about eight hours each month to get the ToteMs ready for publication. If you have writing or editing experience and are interested in filling this spot, please email Paul Ferrari at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from the Webmeister
Mensa members: Be sure to register on this site by clicking the Register link in the sidebar and then following the directions that appear. Our Members section features an interactive Forums page, Columns by some of our members, the MWW bylaws, an Event Calendar that includes all of the contact information, a Marketplace for MWW members’ ads, and other goodies. The columns are blog posts, so you can add your comments there, too. And, we welcome your comments, questions, and suggestions about this Web site. — Jeannie Boag